A little crocheted fish that loves to give kisses
What you will need:
- Crochet hook 2.00mm
- Cotton fingering (4 ply) yarn –3 colours
- Stitch markers
- Pointy yarn needle
- 8mm eyes
I had used natura 100% cotton yarn from DM
- Body (Colour A) [8 grams]
- Kissy lips (Light Pink) [1 gram]
- Fins (Colour B) [8 grams]
mgc: magic circle
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
dec: invisible decrease
hdc: half double crochet
dc: double crochet
Water Sprite Pattern
Begin with colour A:
01. mgc 6 (6)
02. inc x 6 (12)
03. (sc, inc) x 6 (18)
04. (sc 2, inc) x 6 (24)
05. sc all around (24)
06. *Place marker*, sc 12, *Place marker*, (inc, sc) x 6 (30)
07 – 09 [3 rnds]. sc all around (30)
You can now place your eyes where you had placed the markers in row 6.
10. (sc 4, inc) x 6 (36)
11-12 [2 rnds]. sc all around (36)
13. (sc 4, dec) x 6 (30)
14. sc all around (30)
15. (sc 3, dec) x 6 (24)
16-17 [2 rnds]. sc all around (24)
18. (sc 2, dec) x 6 (18)
19. sc all around (18)
Remember to stuff as you go.
20. (sc, dec) x 3, sc 9 (15)
21. (dec, sc) x 3, sc 6 (12)
22-23 [2 rnds]. sc all around (12)
24. dec x 6 (6)
Leave a long tail and fasten off, sew the hole closed using the tail and a yarn needle, tuck the end.
Sculpting the eyes
Take a long piece of colour A and a yarn needle, insert the needle just above one of the eyes (keeping in mind the bottom of the fish is the larger side). Bring your needle through to the other side above the other eye. Then insert your need again one stitch across back to the other side just beside the first insert (you will now have both ends of the yarn coming out of one side). Now take one of the ends and insert it so that it is coming out on the other side so that you will have one piece on either side. Pull tightly so that an indent will appear and both eyes go inwards. Tuck the tails in a way that they will not become loose.
Using Pink yarn:
Create a mgc, ch, dc 3, sc 2, ch, sc 3. Fasten off and pull tight. Once the circle is closed, create a slip stitch then fasten off leaving a long tail.
Wrap one of the tail ends around the lips so that it crosses over the middle part, tie a knot on the other side and pull tight so that the lips bunch together.
Sew the lips onto the fish (just above the mgc on the fish), tuck in the tails.
Using colour B: (turning chains are counted)
01. ch 15, turn (15)
02. skip 1st ch then sc 14, ch, turn (15)
03. skip ch then sc 4, hdc 3, dc 3, ch 3, turn (13)
04. skip 1st ch then sc 12, ch, turn (13)
05. skip ch then sc 3, hdc 3, dc 2, ch 3, turn (11)
06. skip 1st ch then sc 10, ch, turn (11)
07. skip ch then sc 4, ch 7, turn (11)
08. skip 1st ch then sc 10, ch, turn (11)
09. skip ch then sc 3, hdc 3, dc 2, ch 5, turn (13)
10. skip 1st ch then sc 12, ch, turn (13)
11. skip ch then sc 4, hdc 3, dc 3, ch 5, turn (15)
12. skip ch then sc 14 (14)
Fasten off and leave a long tail. Now, wrap the tail around the bottom of the fish. Sewing the yarn tails onto the body along the top and sides as shown in the photos.
Side Fins (make 2)
Using colour B:
01. ch 3, turn (3)
02. skip 2 ch then dc x 4 in the 3rd ch (4)
03. ch 3, turn (counted as dc), dc into the same st, dc twice in each stitch two times then dc 3 times in last stitch (10 dc along)
Fasten off and tuck in the tail.
Place the side fins onto the fish, just below the eyes and 5 rows away.
4 thoughts on “Kissy Fish, A Free Crochet Pattern by Critter Stitch”
Thank you for sharing.
Love the little fish.
Hola, me encanto este pececito. Cuando haga el mio te lo enseño. Gracias
So cute! Thanks for sharing!
They are adorable and easy to do. Love the kissy lips most of all. I think I’ll make a bunch and hang them like a mobile. Thank you so very much for the pattern.